Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Got Goat Cheese?

So, I was in Foods of All Nations the other day and came across something that I cannot even begin to describe. This miraculous addition to my culinary exploration came in the form of none other than local honey infused goat cheese.

Firstly, goat cheese is something to be worshiped in its own right. With a texture unlike anything else and an incredibly fresh taste, goat cheese is supreme. Goat cheese functions interestingly in American culture. It occupies a status much like feta does as the average joe's infrequent attempt at an exotic nacho or salad and carries a serious WOW factor. If something has goat cheese as a filling or topping, its gotta be rich. So, needless to say, HONEY goat cheese might just take the cake...literally! I was thinking what to make with the cheese that would really highlight its richness and so the first thing I thought about was cheese grits, where creaminess is key. Then I decided to go a little further with fried grit cakes with peppery bacon.

First, I took a cup of grits (a grain made from coarsely ground corn) and put it with 3 cups of boiling water. The grits soak up the water over a 15 minute simmering period. While this was simmering, I cooked up 3 pieces of thick-cut, Niman Ranch bacon (although, some local bacon would be much better if its around) and gave them a rough chop. After the grits were cooked through, I took them off the heat and then mixed in: 2 Tbs. butter, about 1/4 of a cup of honey infused goat cheese, the bacon bits, and salt and pepper to taste. I add a fair amount of salt as I grew up eating grits real salty. Then, I let these cool and formed them into cakes about 1 inch thick and 3 inches across. I heated oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high heat and then cooked them in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side until nice and browned.

I served them with some fresh thyme sprigs and learned the real meaning of the word luscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment